Formatting the document with stylish fonts, graphics, alignment, space, page layout, bullet points, etc makes the content easy to scan and read. Indent is one of them.
How to do hanging indent on Google Docs? You can easily create hanging indent on Google Docs by Google Docs hanging indent shortcut, from the Menu bar option and by Google Docs ruler.
What is an indent in Google Docs
Google Docs hanging indent style is a special type of paragraph format in which except the first line, the rest of the upcoming lines of text move further away from the margin either left or to the right.
You can put a hanging paragraph by either selecting and highlight the text or by pre-select the option before creating the document.
How to do hanging indent on Google Docs
With the help of the Menu option, you can easily create a hanging indent on Google Docs. This method will help you when the document is already created. Follow the below steps to create a hanging indent in Google Docs.
Open Google Docs on your desktop computer and write your necessary text in the editor.
Now select the required text from the mouse which you want to do indent.
In the Menu bar click to select Format option then navigate to Align & indent and select Indentation Options.
- A small dialog box of Indentation options appears in front of you.
- Choose Hanging under Special indent.
- You can set hanging indent measurement in inches for example 0.5.
- Then click on Apply to save your settings. As shown in the below image
An image of hanging indent example is just below which is done in Google Docs.
How to do a hanging indent on Google Docs with ruler
With the help of Google Docs Ruler, you can make an indent on Google Docs. To use a ruler, you first have to make it visible in the document, for that go to View > Show ruler
- Select the necessary text which you want to make an indent.
- Now click and drag the left indent from the mouse (small down arrow) to the right as your need, for example, 0.5 (half an inch).
- Then click and drag First line Indent (small rectangle) back to the starting position. See the below image for how it can be done.
Google Docs hanging indent shortcut
Instead of using ruler, Google Docs allows you to indent paragraphs. From the toolbar, you can select the decrease indent or increase indent option.
Alternatively, you can use shortcuts to indent paragraph “Ctrl + [“ shortcut to decrease indent and “Ctrl + ]” shortcut to increase indent.
How to indent the first line in Google Docs
To indent first line of a paragraph on Google Docs, Google Docs ruler is a simple and easiest way to do it.
Make the ruler visible by going to the Menu bar clicking on the View option then navigate and click on Show ruler option.
- Now select the whole paragraph in which you want to make first line indent.
- Then click and drag First line Indent (small rectangle) to the right side position.
From the above steps, you can create a hanging indent on Google Docs.