Google docs Hanging Indent is a special type of paragraph format in which except the first line, the rest of the upcoming lines of text is moved further from the margin either left or move to the right. You can easily make a hanging indent on Google docs directly from the menu bar or by the Google docs ruler.
You can put a hanging paragraph by either selecting and highlight the text or by pre-select the option before creating the document.
How to do a hanging indent on Google docs
Creating a hanging indent on Google docs is done with the help of the menu bar. This method will help you when the document is created. Follow the below steps to create a hanging indent in Google docs.
- Open Google Docs and write your necessary text in the editor.
- Now select the required text from the mouse which you want to do indent.
- Now select Format from the menu bar
- Go to Align & indent
- Select Indentation Options.
- A small dialog box of Indentation options appears in front of you.
- Choose Hanging under Special indent.
- You can set hanging indent measurement in inches for example 0.5.
- Then click on Apply to save your settings. As shown in the below image
An image of hanging indent example is just below which is done in Google docs.
How to make a hanging indent on Google docs
With the help of Google docs Ruler, you can make an indent on Google docs. To use a ruler, you first have to make it visible in the document, for that go to View > Show ruler
- Select the necessary text which you want to make an indent.
- Now Click and drag the left indent from the mouse (small down arrow) to the right as your need, for example, 0.5 (half an inch).
- Then Click and drag First line Indent (small rectangle) back to the starting position. See the below image for how it can be done.
First line indent Google docs
To indent the first line of paragraph on Google docs, the ruler is a simple and easiest way. Make it visible by going to Menu bar > View > Show ruler.
- Now select the whole paragraph which you want to make first line indent.
- Then click and drag First line Indent (small rectangle) to the right side position.
From the above steps you can create hanging indent on Google docs.